) is the largest town in the county of Powys, Wales.It had a population of 12,783 in 2001, which fell to 11,357 at the 2011 census.The Cambrian Mills, which opened in 1856, were the first steam-driven mills in Newtown. It saw a large population growth as companies and people settled, changing its rural market town character. Newtown was governed at local level by Newtown Urban District Council, until it was replaced by Newtown and Llanllwchaiarn Town Council under the Local Government Act 1972.Today's Town Council consists of 16 elected members, serving a five-year term, and employs a staff of about ten..
The Montgomery Canal originally terminated in Newtown. is Newtown's association football club, and was a founding member of the Welsh Premier League in 1992.The community is represented on Powys County Council by five county councillors representing five different wards.Newtown lies about 8 miles (13 km) from the Wales-England border, in the narrow valley of the river Severn, which restricts development north and south of the town.The town grew in the 18th and 19th centuries around the textile and flannel industry, stimulated by completion of the Montgomeryshire Canal.In 1838, the town saw Wales's first Chartist demonstration.