I've recently returned to a web site project that has been on the backburner.
Though I moved back to C: with the same negative results.
I've also moved some functionality out in seperate WCF services, hosted by console apps (two service hosts) which are put into debug when the web site starts up in debug. Checking out (using VSS 2005) ALL the files to ensure nothing is read only does nothing.
The only thing that works is publishing to IIS or restarting my machine. I'll even be satisfied if there's a process I need to terminate each time I stop debugging, to ensure not using previous copies of things. The server may be sending headers to the browser that cause it to keep using cached copies.